Notice: Please visit for our latest Marketing Engineering software
Marketing Engineering for Excel has reached end of life and is no longer receiving updates. Please visit to explore our newest online marketing analytics platform which is designed to replace the Marketing Engineering for Excel add-in.

Notice: ME Cloud being discontinued July 1, 2021
The ME Cloud academic solution for Mac and Chromebook students to access the Marketing Engineering for Excel add-in will be discontinued on July 1, 2021. For further information, please refer to the ME Cloud update news item.

Customer Lifetime Value

What you put in... What you get out...
  • Observed churn rates
  • Customer acquisition cost
  • Number of customers/segments
  • Gross margins by segment
  • Customer transition probabilities across segments
  • Value of current customer base
  • Time required to recoup customer investments
  • ROI on customer/segment investments
  • Size and profitability of customer segments over time; sensitivity to marketing investment plan

Customer Lifetime Value (CLV) is a metric of a customer's value to the organization over the entire history of the relationship. Short-term sales are a factor, but so are overall customer satisfaction, the churn rate in the segment, and the costs to acquire a new customer and retain an existing customer.

clvThe model uses the following input:

Segment Description

  • Number of Customers per segment. As of today, how many customers does the company have in each segment?
  • Gross Margins are the average margins that can be expected from a customer over each period (e.g., a year, a quarter), based on which segment this customer belongs to at the beginning of this period.
  • Marketing Costs quantifies how much money the company spends per customer and per period, depending on which segment this customer belongs. Typically, active customers are followed more closely, receive more attention (e.g., direct marketing solicitations or sales representatives visits), and cost more to the firm.

Transition Matrix

  • The Transition Matrix summarizes the likelihood a customer will switch segments at each period. This matrix should be read horizontally, and each line sums up to 100% (since all customers need to go somewhere). In the above example, an "active customer" has a 75% likelihood of still being in the same segment next period, and 25% chance of switching to the "warm customer" segment.

Technical Note

There is currently not a technical note for the Customer Lifetime Value model.

View other Technical Notes

Archived Webinar

Measuring Customer Lifetime Value

In this ISBM sponsored webinar, Dr. De Bruyn reviews the Customer Lifetime Value model approach with the ME>XL tool.

View other Webinars