You have been teaching with Marketing Engineering for Excel (MEXL) in past years and we appreciate your usage and support. We want to alert you to some fundamental changes in our product offering portfolio that will affect your future classes.
MEXL has not received an update in software, models or cases in recent years for three reasons:
- Continuing, frequent changes introduced by Microsoft in the Windows environment and in its Excel offering, making MEXL support difficult.
- The increased presence of Macintosh products on campus, as well as Chromebooks, tablets and other non-Windows devices.
- The move toward reliance on Cloud-based solutions for analytics of all sorts, bypassing the need for client-based software.
For the reasons above, in 2018 we made the difficult decision to abandon new MEXL development in favor of moving to an online platform compatible with the technologies above. That platform is Enginius and has been in production for two years.
Enginius offers all of the cases and models contained in MEXL with the exception of ABB customer choice (this case - based in the 70s - has been replaced in Enginius with the Hansen Foundation case, a customer choice case based on direct marketing strategy). Additionally, Enginius includes 3 new models and associated cases. Enginius requires no software installation and can be used on any internet connected computer anywhere. All user work is stored on the user’s account in Enginius, so they (and you) can work from anywhere. Additionally, Enginius offers the following benefits:
- Business cases and data sets are pre-loaded, so students have all the materials they need in one place.
- Ability to use only what you need. Instructors can adopt the entire Enginius package or choose only the software and cases they need for their class.
- A built-in templating system that allows students to easily format their own data to upload for analysis.
- Output flexibility in the form of reports that can be generated online or output as Excel, Word, or PowerPoint files. Students can easily add their own insights to the documents without having to copy and paste charts and graphs to different documents.
We understand the deep investment you have made to teach effectively with MEXL and the associated reluctance to change; we are working hard to make the transition from MEXL to Enginius as seamless as possible. Our MEXL models, cases and instructor materials have been migrated to Enginius. Recorded videos are available to help you quickly learn and navigate the Enginius environment. And we are ready to assist you as needed.
While we will continue to maintain MEXL as long as feasible, Enginius will be the platform where new models, software and cases will be found...the models and cases needed for students seeking to learn “marketing in the digital age”. Also, please be aware that we will retire ME Cloud (our web-based solution for Mac users to remotely access MEXL) in June 2021. At that time, there will be no MEXL solution for Mac users.
Please take a few minutes to review Enginius via this short video https://www.enginius.biz/index.php/quick-tour/. Further, we would be happy to discuss transition plans with you to facilitate adoption.
Enginius is a completely separate website from DecisionPro and as such, you will need to register as an instructor on the Enginius website at: https://www.enginius.biz/index.php/registration/instructor/. Please mention in the comments that you are a registered MEXL user and we will quickly approve your request. As with MEXL, instructors will get complimentary access to the software and all instructor materials to help with class preparation
We look forward to your feedback on Enginius and learning how we can facilitate your transition to Enginius.
Arnaud De Bruyn, ESSEC Business School
Gary Lilien, Pennsylvania State University
Arvind Rangaswamy, Pennsylvania State University